Thursday, August 4

My CIO post

This post is sort-of about Crying It Out. You're right -- I'm so five minutes ago. Blog history was made on this subject a full month ago, but here, it's the current event of the day. Not because I'm debating whether or not to try it. I'm all for it. (Here come the tomatoes.)

Starting at about 8 months, I got serious about putting AJ to sleep with a very specific routine. And it goes like this: (We usually change into jammies before time to go to bed, so assuming that's done)
1.Take Blankie and AJ up to his room, brush "teeth."
2. Sit in the rocking chair together and read 1 or 2 stories.
3.Sing a lullaby.
4.Say, "AJ, Mommy and Daddy love you.... I'm going to put you in your bed now. Sleep well. Have sweet dreams. We'll see you in the morning. Night Night."

Now that is one heckuva routine, right? I'm proud. Even though I've caved more often than I should, singing him to sleep instead of putting him down while he's still awake. But I BELIEVE in Crying It Out, and I wait for the day when he has learned, as all the theorizers and baby philosophers promised, how to soothe himself to sleep.

Except. That it hasn't happened yet. Or, at least I'm not sure if it has. Usually if I put him down awake, he pushes back up to his knees, mad that I'm leaving him. "Wha-- MOM! But we were having such a nice lullaby! Why would you leave NOW? WAAA." That goes on as I shoo the dog out of the room and close the door, and usually continues for about 2-5 minutes more. We listen intently on the monitor. All vocal noise ceases. He shuffles around -- I imagine him readjusting his teddy, Blankie, PJs, and the sheets, and flopping his head back and forth a few times just like his Mommy does -- and then, Wonderful Sleep.

So I ask you, dear smart people: Is he satisfactorily soothed? Or is he just giving up? I know of kids who go into their cribs quietly, lay themselves down, and tip-toe off to Dreamland. As if they're saying, "Wow, thanks, Mommy, I am pretty tired, and this bed feels so nice and cool and welcoming. Good night." That is what I would consider to be "self-soothed." Is what I'm getting a different version of that, or is my routine not working?

The thing is, bedtime works for us -- and when he stops crying, he's done. He sleeps -- well -- for 10 hours or more every night, and has, since about 6 months old. I guess I'm just curious.

2 comments:

el-e-e said...

Yep! 8:30 to 6:30 -- it's very nice.

Krissy said...

Oh good heavens, woman! 2-5 minutes of crying isn't even cry-it-out! It's winding down time.

Their little brains are working fevereshly to keep up during the daytime. Like after a long run when your leg muscles get shakey, the brain has to be stretched out before shutting down.

Your most excellent bedtime routine certainly helps a bunch to get him going, but if you have an extroverted little guy it's unlikely that he'll enjoy the quiet and dark before bed.

Charlie is one of the happiest, most well-rounded kids ever, and he cries for about 15 minutes before passing out for the night. I typically go in two to three times to reassure him that I love him and that he's safe and to re-bink, but then I leave him to pass out on his own. He will. not. sleep. if there's someone in there to talk to.

Also the little stinker has started a fancy new move where he hurls his binkey out of the crib so that he has an excuse to stand, clutching the edge of his crib like it's a sinking ship, bewailing the loss of his precious binkey.

My kid is a total drama king (queen?) king.

Now, what I'm working on is getting him down without a bottle in his mouth. My kid says NO to that. Must. Have. A. Bottle. or the nightime fight goes for an hour and only relents when I give him one.

I'm working on it. I swear.

(cry-it-out post at Speckblog)

http://speckblog.blogspot.com/2005/07/defending-weeping-mother.html