At 6:15 am, I went in to wake up AJ. He scooted around in his blankets for a minute, pushed up his little head, blinked his eyes, and said, plain as day, "'Morning, Mama."
"'Morning!" With the final "g!" It sounded so grown up. I just can't believe how big he's getting.
He slept well because of all the excitement from last night -- we went out for dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, and the mariachi band was there! They are the best, mariachi bands. Nothing can sound so lively and comedic, while also sounding romantic. :) They played "Old MacDonald" at my request, and AJ and all the other kids loved it. Well, let me rephrase that, the older kids and the adults loved it. AJ made a beeline for Daddy's lap, and stared in wonderment and a little bit of fear at how LOUD the band was, and I can't say I blame him. They were LOUD. The trumpter made a "horse," a "rooster," and a "cow" with his horn. Pretty impressive! I love the cute way they sing the 2nd and 3rd verses: "Old MacDonald had another farm..." After they finished, everyone cheered and I handed them my two dollars. And when that died down, AJ clapped and gave a solo "Yaaaayy!" with a big, big smile. And then everyone in the whole restaurant clapped for AJ! :) Because he was so PRECIOUS! I don't know that I've ever been happier. I imagine it's a taste of the feeling you get when your kid wins first place, or graduates high school. It felt a little like "bursting." :)
Before that, we'd taken him to Toys R Us. One of the hardest things about being a parent, I think, is RESISTING the urge to buy them every single item that will make them happy. I got in there, and man! did I want to purchase a lot of things. There was a cool spiral-y car-racing track, and a Little People Airplane, and a trike, and my eyes got really wide at the thought of all those fun! things! But my husband is the good and sensible one. He said, "I'm sure the day is not far when AJ will be ASKING us for toys upon toys. Now? While he's content? Let's just leave it at that." And he's so right. So we got him a soccer ball, and this cool Thomas book, and a box of sidewalk chalk, and he was pretty thrilled with those small things. I made mental notes for his Easter basket.*
Saturday, we bought the forsythia I wanted, as well as some gorgeous red pansies. AJ "helped" me plant them. His job was putting "mo duht" (more dirt) into the pots. Mo duht? Mo duht? Mo duht? It never gets old. :) We put one little pansy in a pot by itself and that is AJ's flower. Of course, now the cold front is going to come through and I don't know whether to bring the pansies into the garage or let them tough it out. I heard they're pretty tough.... but I'd hate to lose them. I was also dumb to not take the camera with me while we planted them. He was a little mud-pie!
*P.S. I just re-read, and am thinking how funny I am, saying "we are virtuous and didn't buy him anything," and then listing out the 3 things we DID buy him. LOL. I am funny. And actually we bought him 4 things, but I conscientiously didn't list the fourth, the Bear in the Big Blue House Potty Stories DVD. But but but... they were inexpensive things, so they count for less on the accumulation scale. No, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment