Thursday, March 23

Outside my window





Today's my regular work-from-home day. I've got a load of laundry in the washer, a load of dishes in their washer, and my kitchen window open so I can watch all the finches and robins and cardinals play in my yard. I've come to really LOVE the little birdies. In fact, if someone wanted to get me one of these, or maybe these, for my birthday or mother's day or my anniversary (My Personal Present Triumverate, DH calls it) --- ooh! there's a little gray Chickadee now! Look at him, sitting on the little birdhouse wishing there was food inside. The previous owners had hung this itty bitty birdhouse, and it's cute, but it's useless because I can't reach it to put food in there. But oh!! He is a sweetie! Staying a long time. He just hopped around to look in my window... hello Chickadee! Oh... okay, well, goodbye. ---

Those of you who've known me in real life for a long time are likely giggling now because I linked to Birdseed Boy's old stomping grounds. Birdseed Boy being my college boyfriend. Ah, yes, I did spend a week in CT with him, helping to set up his parents' very own WBU franchise. What a miserable endeavor that was. We don't need to rehash details of my past -- and it wasn't miserable because of Connecticut (I loved Connect-I-cut) or because of WBU (they're a great company, I think). Suffice to say we broke up shortly thereafter and that is the end of that. But I still check their "feeder cam" every so often, and having all these birds in my yard makes me think of BB and his family, actually with fondness. Maybe they could send me something for free? Heh.

Anyway, in the span of writing this, I've seen a big, fat male cardinal, a big fat (ugly) robin redbreast (sorry, I just don't like the robins), and that little gray dude. Here, links to learn more, since I'd like to. I've been dreaming about becoming a birdwatcher ever since we moved here. Perhaps a new little hobby is presenting itself to me? The Cornell site is really cool -- it has mp3s for each bird's sound! Tweet, tweet!

http://wbu.com/edu/chickadee.htm
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Northern_Cardinal.html
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Robin.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birdseed Boy!! Hahahaha! Haven't thought of him in AGES! I am now feeling O-L-D! His dad always liked you - you should hit him up for some perks and merchandise for putting up with his son!

el-e-e said...

Yeah dude, college was TEN years ago. O-L-D is right!!

Anonymous said...

This is the one time of year when Sunshine pulls herself away from sitting behind my ear or playing with my shoelaces to sit at the window and chirp at the birds outside. "Hey, there. Hey, look in here. Look at me. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey."