Friday, March 3

A Small Study in HCI

That's Human-Computer Interaction, for those of us without engineering degrees

I've discovered an interesting thing. Yahoo! mail, as many email clients, separates obvious spam into a "bulk mail" folder so that I don't have to see the words p*n-s or bo0b!es in my holy personal Inbox. I appreciate that from Yahoo!.

However, I also can't STAND to have unread mail, sitting there in bold type looking at me expectantly. So I often go into the bulk mail folder to clean it out. What I realized this morning is that I have a real aversion to "touching" the yucky pervy (or otherwise spammy) emails, even with the arrow that my mouse controls! Instead, I'd rather hit "Check all" and let the program do the touching, even if there's only ONE message, so I won't have to get germs from the possible virus that the unknown sender is trying to send me. !! Isn't that funny?! And I work on a Mac! We don't even GET viruses!

Where's my Lysol?

No comments: