Thursday, March 17

on Gregorian chant

There is nothing like Holy Week music to bring out the Catholic in me. I really should have been born before Vat II, when good music still reigned and the solemn things were done right: in Latin. Last night's choir practice was spent frantically preparing for Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday... and, well, if we hadn't spent so much time chit-chatting and eating birthday cake, we might have gotten to Easter vigil and Easter Sunday. I'd forgotten the marathon that Holy Week requires of choristers. I'm already tired.

Sadly, I can't make the Holy Thursday service, where we sing the Pange Lingua. You just can't beat a good, 6-verse chant. Saint Gregory the Great was right on with his collection of songs and plainchants. (Don't you love the picture of him with the little choir boys?) Can I get a Woo-Hoo for Gregorian Chant! Woo-Hoo! I hate to miss singing that particular one, because the melody is beautiful. Of course, it's always a challenge to keep the pitch* and fit all those words in, when you have to sing while processing outside the church and around to the chapel. I remember when I sang at another parish, we'd have to run to catch up with the director (named Gregory, incidentally, who taught me most of what I know of the great traditional chant). Running and singing -- fantastic idea. I don't think St. Greg would have really imagined it that way.

It always makes me wish my parish were ornate and tall and "old-school," so that the sound could rise like it's supposed to, into the rafters, and bounce back off the stone ceilings. But not many parishes are built that way any more. It also makes me really regret not studying Latin in high school. Mom should have insisted. (It's okay, Mom!) Truly, though, I think the best way to learn it is to sing it, and I am fairly certain that Mr. Red Herring, venerable Latin teacher of [Hometown] Catholic High, wasn't doing any singing in his classroom. Too bad.

Anyway, I am rambling (and could continue) but you may not be as die-hard a fan of ancient church music as I am. Your loss, I say.

*And may I add a Catty Choir Comment (CCC) about pitch?? Ours last night was ABYSSMAL. I thank God that I sing in another (auditioned) choir where pitch actually IS a concern. Sheesh, people! Let's not SIT ON the notes, please?? *Shakes head in despair.* < / diva >

No comments: