Remember I mentioned my mistake at work that left us with a perturbed client? Well.... I didn't know exactly how perturbed until I read (a 3-page) email this morning. I'm in deep, and the hell of it is, it was just carelessness, really. There are all kinds of factors, but it's the fact that I didn't take the time to go over things three times, I only checked twice. I didn't look at them through a magnifying glass, I only used my bare eyes. I didn't taste the soup, season it, and taste it again. I figured if I followed the bare recipe, it'd turn out fine.
And as you know, it never turns out fine when you do the bare minimum. Especially when its a paying customer (who's high on themselves anyway, being academia and all), and they say that our company is not handling the project professionally. Ouch. Probably true. I'm not worried I'm going to be fired or anything, but this is a BIG mistake. We've developed unfavorable relationships with clients before, but I think it's usually because they're wackos, not that we've screwed things up. In this case.... not so much.
How do I feel... I feel incredibly embarrassed. It's not like this is brain surgery or complicated scientific equations. This is content. Word documents, people. And I feel bad because I have a reputation (really, everyone does, at our office) for doing things the right way... and this time, I didn't. I screwed up. I made a mistake.
Perhaps I was spending too much time blogging and not focusing my attention where it should be focused. Nah, that can't be it.
Hang tight while I'm off doing damange control... for the rest of my professional (or not-so-much, according to the client) days.
2 comments:
NOTHING to do with you. Nothing at all. You have been, and continue to be, a fantastic mentor. No worries.
although you did introduce me to blogger. ;)
Post a Comment